THE road-trip: Bergen – Oslo – Bergen, in many ways more challenging than expected!

IMG_8460We started the trip Thursday, around 11. We used Google-map to get the fastest route: To Voss, the new bridge in Hardanger, over Hardangervidda and Geilo and then to Oslo. It said 6,5 hours non-stop driving and we used around 7,5 hours with some small stops and 30 min. traffic-jam to get from the outskrit of Oslo to the hotel.

Hardangervidda, on the way to Oslo

Hardangervidda, on the way to Oslo

It was easy to use Google-map, both during the road-trip, but also when driving in Oslo. Although there were some road-works, actually quite many, the Google-map recalculated fast and efficient. I have a cheap internet-plan on my phone, but another excellent thing with Google-map is that if you load the map and direction when you have internet, you can turn off the mobile-network, and it will still remember and use tha map!

I drove the most, unless 1,5 hours in the middle. It was surprisingly how much faster the time went on when driving myself than when I am a passenger! Because we were eager to come to Oslo we didn’t stop to get any pictures, just a few. I planned to use more time on the return to take pictures and have a relaxing trip as I knew I would be on my own and needed more stops.

I was relieved when we arrived to Oslo and I had managed to drive that far without getting a migraine and my body seemed to have managed well. For a strange reason I had forgotten that my illness works like this: “Do whatever you want to do, I’ll punish you after”. And this was what happened. The weekend ended in an endless migraine-attack. Luckily the medicine worked Saturday evening and I went to a great party celebrating my brothers birthday, dancing and socializing the whole evening! However, I didn’t do any sight-seeing and the only pictures I got was from the hotel…. Well.. That’s life as a sick traveler, I should get used to it!

On the way from Bergen to Oslo, in the end of the trip, we heard strange noises from the brakes of the car. The strange noises continued while we were in Oslo, and they even seemed to get worse. I spoke to several people who knows more about cars than I do (I know nothing…) and they all said the car should be safe to drive home, I should just be careful to use a low gear instead of using the brakes when going down from Hardangervidda, down Måbødalen to Eidfjord. Note that Hardangervidda is the highest mountain plateau in Norway….

I thought about postponing my return and get the car fixed in Oslo, but because I really wanted to go home, I decided to drive.

The main-reason why I wanted to go home was because my son moved to Tromsø the day I returned back to Bergen. I have been quite cool about his move so wasn’t at all prepared to be Mrs. Sad-Sam, but I was…. We are used to travel both with and without him and we are also used to him traveling alone, and I have never been sad about this.

It’s embarrassing to say, but I cried all night and saying goodby was so much harder than I had thought. Needless to say, I wanted to get home and being alone in the car!

I started the return at 10 and the first two hours went well (sobbing and cried my eyes out…). At 12.30 I was tired, had an aching neck and wondered how I would survive the rest of the trip… However I then decided to press myself and take a longer rest at Geilo, around 13.30, but at 13.15 I felt the urge to let the coffee out so stopped at a bus-shred and went back. After all, although there were a bus-stop, I was in the middle of nowhere and I’m from Norway: We are used to use the nature when the nature calls! (Wearing a skirt is a must on a road-trip!)

Unfortunately I am not good in recognizing the Norwegian fauna and I didn’t know I had been in the middle of a meadow of nettles before I returned to the car! Luckily I hadn’t put my behind in the nettles, but my left leg stinged and hurted a lot! I think my body was pumped with adrenaline because I woke up quite quick and didn’t feel the need to stop at Geilo! I rushed past it and over Hardangervidda.

Because I was eager to get past Måbødalen I didn’t stop at Hardangervidda either and started to climb down Måbødalen on the second gear. The brakes made very loud noises and I think I got a new “dose” with adrenaline at this point. I think I drove in 40 km/h, but was so scared I didn’t dare to drive faster! When I got the the end I was so relieved, happy and full of adrenaline that I didn’t feel for a break. I drove to Voss, had a small break and came back home at 17.30.

The trip from Oslo to Bergen is spectaculare and I wished I had taken pictures. Next time! (BUT I will not drive all the way myself! I have proven to myself that I can do it…. )

2 thoughts on “THE road-trip: Bergen – Oslo – Bergen, in many ways more challenging than expected!

  1. Randomjenta

    Too bad about the migraine, and a sound coming from the breakes would’ve freaked me out! Haha. Good thing it worked out fine 🙂 I’m sure there were some spectacular landscapes along the way!

    I’ve also arrived in Oslo now after driving down here from Bodø in two days. It took a lot less time than I expected! Thank god 😛

    1. Cecilie Post author

      Good to hear you arrived safe! It looks like we will take the car to Oslo in September, so I might get the chance to stop and take some pictures…. 🙂


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *